Monday, November 12, 2012

Care Package

A few Sundays ago a lady from a ward passed a sign up sheet for a care package. I wasn't really sure what was it about but I signed up to make one. Well, yesterday the lady called me. She explained that the care package was going to be sent to a family that has lost everything in the hurricane Sandy that affected the New York area. So they assigned us a family and we needed to send something, it could be whatever, even just a letter of encouragement. They assigned us the Johnson family with 4 kids around our kids ages.

For FHE today we put the care package together. The kids were so excited. The girls wanted to send so many stuff to the 2 girls in the family but we had a small box so they ended up sending a baby for each of the girls. Kelvin sent some Lego star wars and cars for the 2 boys. We also put some candy, card games, and coloring books. We wrote a nice letter and put a picture of our family in there, the kids also colored some pictures and sent them. It was a nice experience. I loved that the kids were so willing to give some of their stuff to make other kids that has lost everything happy. It was a great opportunity to teach them that we can feel so much joy serving others and that when we are in the service of others we are at the service of God.  I loved hearing Elena's personal prayer as she prayed for the Johnson family to be safe and to be happy with all the things we were sending.  I hope we have many more opportunities to serve others.  This are the experiences I hope they treasured for the rest of their lives.


No comments: